Our Hero, Maxx!

Our Hero, Maxx!
Maxx was born with dominant dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa; a rare, genetic disease that leaves blistering and open wounds on the body.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Twin Valley South Middle School Students Raise Awareness & Funds!


I find myself in front of many different groups of people, but no group has been more gratifying to speak to about EB than young adults. I am a school teacher, so I have the opportunity to influence the children of tomorrow in positive ways. In 2006 my middle school students approached me to inquire about how they could help raise awareness and research funds for DebRA of America. It was my first year teaching in the district, after transferring from a nearby district. They knew my son was diagnosed with EB at birth and wanted to help with the cause. They held a bake sale and penny drive for EB! The student senate members also handed out information about EB and DebRA of America to the entire school in order to raise awareness. In all, the middle school students donated just over $500!! These are some of the most amazing young adults! (pictures are used with permission of parents/guardians)

No comments:

Post a Comment